Friday, February 4, 2011

A new avenue for ministry





I (Kristine) posted a little about this on our baby blog, but I thought it would be quite fitting on here too. Yesterday I had kind of a revelation. Yes I had strange dreams last night, but that's not what I am talking about. I realized even more so yesterday how God giving us our precious Jennavieve will aid in my being able to reach out and minister to perfect strangers. Here's what I posted about the Winco trip that was kinda surreal for me (you can read the original post here):

At Winco I put her in my front pack because she was too active to just sit in a car seat. The moment we stepped away from the car, the stares started. Everyone was looking at us. It was kinda like that Inception movie, but in a good way. Actually, I should say everyone wasn't looking at US they were looking at Jenna. When we got into Winco the stares continued and people stopped to comment on how beautiful she was and how cute she was. Perfect strangers stopped from their grocery shopping to come look at Jenna and smile and talk to me. It was surreal. Jenna, decided to step it up a notch and held onto the grocery cart handle with me. When I stopped to let some people look at her cause they were commenting about her I tried to step back from the cart but Jenna held on and pulled the loaded cart back! Then we got the stares of amazement at how strong she is.

One teenage girl was overwhelmed with emotion and came over to us and said how Jenna was the most beautiful baby she'd ever seen. She wanted to hold Jenna's hand and talk to Jenna. So, against my better judgement I let her. Jenna smiled at the girl and the girl was overjoyed. (No, I am seriously not exaggerating!!!) She couldn't contain herself and told her guy friend how beautiful Jenna was and everyone stopped and looked at us and smiled. It sounds like something out of a movie, it was the weirdest, nicest strangest thing ever.

That whole experience got me thinking... God's using this little girl to help me reach out to people that otherwise would be hard to reach or talk to. Neighbors talk with Eric and I more because of her. Actually, everyone talks with us more because of her. I just need to be on my game and ask people what their names are and get to know their stories. Then REMEMBER those names the next time I see them or just pray for them. You never know who you are going to meet while out and about. God can use you to change someone's life dramatically. Jenna may just be the key. (Yes, I am VERY overprotective of her. So no worries about me handing her to perfect strangers or putting us in un-necessary dangerous places.)

I can see how in the future God could use this to help me branch out and meet people. In the US and outside the US. You generally look less threatening when you have a child with you AND sometimes people are less apt to mess with you when there's a child involved. Sometimes that's the opposite, but I like the idea of being less threatening. :)

Blessings to you,
Kristine

Psalm 127:3-5:
3 Children are a heritage from the LORD,
offspring a reward from him.
4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth.
5 Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
They will not be put to shame
when they contend with their opponents in court.

No comments: