Sunday, January 22, 2012

Though we are many, we are one body (Posted by Kristine)

I love meeting new people and learning about their lives. I think I really can't get enough of it. It's such a joy to sit down with someone and hear about their lives, their world from their perspective. Throughout this process we've gotten to meet many new friends and it's been wonderful.

Anyone that really knows me, knows I love checking out different churches. I love seeing how others worship, how they choose to do ministry, whether there is an outreach ministry, hear what songs they sing and hear how the pastor/reverend/bishop...etc teaches. In the past few months we've had the opportunity to worship with quite a few different churches. Let me just say that I love it! We did a Google search the other day to check out different churches in the area and so many came up! To think, on Sunday (or Saturday for some) there are many people traveling to go to these churches to worship. Many many people I've never met, nor might ever meet, but would love to meet. All these people believe in the same Lord, pray to the same Lord and worship the same Lord.

When I think of how many local churches, I think of how many national churches there are and international believers that are meeting and lifting their voices and prayers to God. It really reaffirms to me the belief that the "church" is not composed of bricks or wood or stone, but people. Everyone who believes in God and believes that the Lord Jesus died for our sins is a part of the church. Amazing eh? So even though we are in different locations, we are one.

One of my favorite passages of scripture talks about this very thing. It's found in 1 Corinthians 12:14-20 and if you've heard us speak, you've heard this verse. I'll post it below for others to read:
1 Corinthians 12:14-20
"For the body is not one member, but many. If the foot says, 'Because I am not a hand, I am not part of the body,' it is not for this reason and less a part of the body. And if the ear says,'Because I am not an eye, I am not part of the body,' it is not for this reason any less a part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be? If the whole were hearing, where would the sense of smell be? But now God has placed the members, each one of them, in the body, just as He desired. If they were all one member, where would the body be? But now, there are many members, but one body. 

All the members, all the people around the world that believe in God are a part of this body. From China, to Canada, to Russia to Indonesia, to Kenya....etc. God has a plan and a purpose for each one of us. Seriously... if you are a believer in Christ, He's got a plan for YOU! Are you listening to where He's leading? Or are you content focusing on your own goals and needs?

There are many many ways to serve the Lord. It could be: through living out your faith at  work, serving in a local rescue mission, going on a mission trip, doing homeless ministry, doing elderly ministry. if God has blessed you abundantly with finances it could mean that you become a part of a ministry by helping it to keep going. God has a role for each of us. I want to encourage you to spend some time in prayer this week seeking where God would be leading you to serve. You can think about what you like to do and seek out a ministry that does that. A very good first step if you are unsure is to start getting involved in your local church. Try out different ministries and pray that God will reveal the one He has for you. You'll definitely be blessed. :)

In Christ,
Kristine



No comments: