Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The first part of the day

So I just posted on what happened the last part of the day, I'd like to post about the first part. Last night was kinda brutal with Jenna waking often screaming/crying for some random reason. (We think she might be sick, but aren't sure.) She ended up sleeping with us which meant that we got hardly any sleep.

This morning I woke up at 5:20 or so to get ready for the day. Driving to Kirkland from our house can be a traffic nightmare so I wanted to make sure that I got out early. I got to the hospital for my glucose screening in plenty of time, actually too much time because I was waiting outside the lab for a good 10 minutes before they opened.

I got in right away and the nurse gave me a choice of three drinks: orange, lemon-lime or fruit punch, all of which were nasty she says. I of course already knew this because of the first pregnancy. I chose orange because I thought that was the one I could stomach the best. It's a good thing I chose it because towards the end of the 10 ounces I was fighting being sick. I sat down in the "Quiet Room" in a recliner and pulled out my electronics to have the two hours begin.

Across from me was the room where the rest of the pregnant women would come in, make their choices and then leave to find their seats. There was one lady who chose to sit in the same room I was in. She pulled out her literature and began to read. I won't go into detail about what she did because I wasn't really staring at her the whole time. :)

Eventually we began to chat and I learned she was a first time mom. It was nice because for the first time, I was the one who had weathered the storm of the first born child and had advice and experience to share. I told her not to believe the tv and movies version of labor, it's totally bogus and meant to frighten you. I encouraged her to continue to read up on things to help her feel in control and calm. She reminded me of how I was with my pregnancy with Jenna. Reading up on anything she could find and doing anything she could to prepare.

One thing I told her that I wasn't told, is how important it is after the baby is born to seek out other mom groups for support. Once the hubs goes back to work, it can easily feel like you are alone. Finding a good mom's group not only gives your kiddo friends, but you as well. I learned she was a believer and encouraged her to see what her church offered to meet moms within her own church too.

Talking with this mom made the time go by super quick. It was wonderful. Such a blessing. I feel it was much more worth while than playing Candy Crush (Yes... I fell prey to that!) and attempting to read when I am exhausted. It was fun to talk with the nurse too when I was getting blood drawn because she had various experiences too. I just love getting to know new people and hearing their stories. :)

No comments: